Cornwall Council
Information about making your application

Applications can be made from when the child is 1 year 10 months old. 2 year old funding is paid from the term following the child's second birthday.

A child born between:If eligible, can access funding from:
1st April and 31st August1st September
1st September and 31st December1st January
1st January and 31st March1st April

To make your application you will need to enter your details including your National Insurance number and Date of Birth. Your NI number can be found on your payslip/benefit claim/by contacting HMRC.

If you are not found to be eligible because of your financial circumstances, we will carry out additional checks on your application as you may be eligible under one of the criteria below.

If you consider your child to be eligible under one of these criteria you must attach a copy of the document listed to enable us to check your eligiblity.

Your child is looked after by a local councilCopy of the official document from the local council confirming the placement
Your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)Copy of the Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP)
Your child receives Disability Living Allowance (DLA)Copy of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA) letter
Your child has left care under a Special Guardianship Order, Child Arrangements Order or Adoption OrderCopy of the legal order

If you're a non-EEA citizen who cannot claim benefits:

If you are getting support under the Immigration and Asylum Act and have either:

  • claimed asylum in the UK and are waiting for a decision (known as 'part 6')
  • been refused asylum in the UK (known as 'section 4')

If your household income is £15,400 a year or less after tax, and you have any of the following:

  • leave to remain with 'no recourse to public funds' on family or private life grounds
  • support from your local council because you have 'a child in need', for example they have a disability or a child protection plan
  • the right to live in the YK because you're the main carer of a British citizen (known as a 'Zambrano Carer')
Please email for more details on the documents you will need to provide